NICKERSON BEACH, PART OF THE COUNTY PARK SYSTEM SINCE 1967, Nickerson Beach Park is 155 acres of a sun-drenched recreational facility. It is located along the Atlantic Ocean on Long Island’s South Shore. The facility consists of Beach front, Campground, Fun Zone, Ball Fields, Beach Volleyball Courts, Cabanas and Lockers.
The beach is approximately .5 miles long. The beach is home to a number of federally protected birds and grasses. It is a great place to relax and soak in the beauty of nature.
The park includes areas by the beach that are cordoned off to protect nesting areas for the Piping Plover, a sparrow-sized shorebird that is protected by federal law.
During the summer season (Memorial Day – Labor Day), parking fees are charged as follows:
There is a picturesque, seaside Pitch and Putt, created amongst the dunes of Nickerson Beach which includes nine holes ranging in length from 47 to 105 yards. There are two new basketball courts in the “Fun Zone” and a basketball court by the cabana area; two tennis courts;
and a new baseball field (permit required). The “Fun Zone” includes a skate park located inside a 160-by-100-foot fenced-in area. The skate park includes seven ramps of varying difficulty, with the lowest ones measuring two feet in height and the highest ones four feet. In addition, there are two railings for skate-boarders. During the summer season, the skate park is open seven days a week, but patrons are advised to call ahead for the schedule of hours. At other times of the year, excluding the winter, when the park is closed, the skate park is open only on weekends. Helmets must be worn by those using the skate park.
- The picturesque, seaside Pitch and Putt, created amongst the dunes of Nickerson Beach includes nine holes ranging in length from 47 to 105 yards.
- The Fun Zone consists of playground for children, two basketball courts and a skate park. There are two Soccer fields, a baseball field and six Beach Volleyball courts.
- There are unreserved and reserved (fee) picnic areas that include barbecue equipment and a campground.
- There are two swimming pools – one at each end of the park, along with small “kiddie” pools (fee required).
- Visitors can also swim in the ocean.
- There are new beach showers and cabanas, with cabanas awarded via a lottery system (fee required).
- Seasonal hours: Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
The campground consists of 74 Recreational Vehicle sites, complete with water, and 110V, 50/30 amp electric hook-ups. There are 66 sites with sewer hook ups. There are two (gray-black water) Dumping Stations which are also available to campers and to non-campers for a nominal fee. The comfort station is easily located and has showers that are wheelchair accessible. The campground has an annual “Halloween Weekend” event for the enjoyment of our campground family. This event is family oriented and is fun for all ages. The Campground will be open from April through November if weather permits. Leisure Pass holders receive discount rate. There will be a one-day “early-bird” registration for the 2017 campground season February 25th at 8am.
- Nickerson Beach offers cabanas for rent during the summer season, with areas on the eastern and western ends of the park. The cabanas provide Nassau County residents with the opportunity to enjoy a summer vacation at this beautiful beach. Each year, a lottery is held to determine eligibility for available cabana spots. There are 498 cabanas and 147 cabinettes.
- A dog run includes separate areas for big and small dogs; it is located across the parking lot from the Fun Zone. Please note that dogs are not allowed on the beach or in any County parks or preserves, with the exception of the dog runs.
- A food concession stand is located on the south edge of the “Fun Zone” by the beach; it is open during the summer.