The 607 acre Cedar Point, with commanding views of Gardiner’s Bay, offers individual and organized group camping areas. Picnic areas, boat rentals, nature trails, vehicular access to the outer beach (with permit only), licensed hunting for waterfowl (in season), surfcasting for bass and bluefish. Settled in 1651, Cedar Point was once a busy port for shipping farm goods, fish, and timber from Sag Harbor. The historic Cedar Point Lighthouse stood on an island 200 yards from shore when it was built in 1860. Its beacon served to guide whaling ships in and out of Sag Harbor during its heyday as a major port. The hurricane of 1938 transformed the shoreline, shifting sands to create a narrow walkable strip that now connects the lighthouse with the mainland.
source: Suffolk County Parks Dept