- The first video game was invited here
Many would assume Pong was the first video game invented, but little do they know, the game “Tennis for Two” was actually unveiled during an annual visitor’s day at Brookhaven National Lab in Upton (Brookhaven Town). Nuclear physicist William Higinbotham had created the game. It even featured an analog computer with TWO controllers
- The WW2 Invasion of America
Long Island served as a drop-off point for Nazi saboteurs during World War II. Four German Nazis arrived by submarine on an Amagansett beach on the night of June 13, 1942. Coast Guardsman John Cullen, above, encountered the Nazis, who got away but were captured on June 27.
- The Montaukets were actually the money makers
- The first flight around the world took off from Long Island
- Montauk was supposed to be the “North’s Miami Beach.”
- New Suffolk was home to the first submarine base.
Contrary to popular belief, New London was not the first submarine base in the United States. It was actually New Suffolk, right here on Long Island. The submarine USS Holland (SS-1), the first commissioned submarine in the U.S. Navy, along with five other Holland Torpedo Boat Company-designed submarines of the Plunger class, were based in New Suffolk between 1899 and 1905. New London’s Naval base was started in 1872.
- We had the first toll road in the United States.
- Long Island is considered a peninsula, Not an island.
We have a larger population than 2 island nations
Long Island is the most populated island in the United States and the
17th most populated island in the world. Interesting fact: Long Island
is more populated than the entire country of Jamaica and of Ireland!
If Long Island was its own state, it would rank 12th in terms of population.
The North Shore is known for its large mansions, exclusive
vacationing, and rich history of its affluent citizens and
architecture. The South Shore also has some exclusive estates but is
more laid back and hosts more entertainment and sports venues.
Marconi was the first to use a radio transmission
The first radio transmission, by wireless inventor Guglielmo Marconi,
was in 1901 on Fire Island Avenue in Babylon.
- Both Queens and Brooklyn were their own independent city at one point.
- We’re home to the oldest Ranch in the United States.