St Georges Manor is an estate that is frozen in time located on the Mastic Neck Peninsula. It does not have seem to get a lot of attention and the activities available at the Manor are not quite inviting. However for those interested in Long Island rich history, the Manor is a perfect preservation of a time that has long passed.
Here’s 10 things you may or may not know about the Manor.
- Before being divided and sold off over the generations, the Manor was more then 90 square miles. Stretching from the Carmens River to Southampton and from the Atlantic Ocean to the center of the island.
- The Original patent was granted by Gov. Fletcher in 1693!
- Colonel William Tangier Smith, whom was the first owner of the manor, was originally the governor of an English Colony in Africa called Tangier…
- There were actually 2 St Georges Manor. The original estate was located in Setauket and was called St Georges Manor, which Mastic was called “The Manor of St George”
- Was 1 out of 23 manorial grants in the Colonies, and 21 in New York State.
- In 1691, Tangier purchased land from a Native American named John Mayhew, which contained the land East of the Mastic River (Forge River) to the Southampton line, with the exceptions of the Moriches Peninsulas
- During the Civil War, the British confiscated the Manor in Mastic Neck and used it as a Fort.
- American Patriot, Benjamin Tallmadge and his Dragoon’s had traveled from Connecticut, capturing British Soldiers. Tallmadge made his way to Fort St George and captured it within a day. Burning the fort and returning back to Connecticut.
- Carmens River is actually named after the Wife of Tangiers Great-great-great-grandson William, after marrying a Hannah Carman from Fire Place (now Bellport)
- In 1718, 4000 acres were sold to Richard Floyd. Who gave the land to his son Nicoll. The estate was then handed down to Willam Floyd who later signed the declaration of Independance.